Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Education does not save women; Beauty does, Luck does

Source: https://thesocietypages.org
Since I was young, my mother had repeated drilled into my brain that I had to study hard so that I could have a better future.

As I work and observe things around me, I find many different pathways to success.

If you have read my bio at side of this blog, you will know I work as a software developer but I also tutor. There are two reason I do this: a passion for teaching, and also the need to supplement my meagre income. Contrary to what software engineers earn in the USA, which averages USD80,000 to USD100,000, all kinds of engineers in Singapore earn around SGD40,000 to SGD80,000. Things are not so rosy here when it comes to salary.

So, I worked really hard. I was a very obedient child and I listened to every advice my mother gave me. I had a good education. With my excellent primary school results, I was qualified to enter the top 10 secondary schools in Singapore. I had received a very good excellent secondary education and I am very grateful to my alma mater. She has made me bilingual in both English, the language of commerce, and Chinese, the language most dear to me. I then moved on to a good Junior College and then earn a good degree in Computer Engineering in one of the best universities here in Singapore.

Recently, I gave tuition to an eleven-year-old girl. She's a mixed, her father being a Chinese Singaporean while her mother is a Chinese Vietnamese who doesn't know how to speak any English. None! Zero!

Since young, my mother had always told me that English is very important and would secure a better future for me. I often only received a borderline pass for my English, even though I had studied very hard. However, I never gave up and I gradually improved by a lot. Even the founding Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, emphasised English language education so much that he converted all schools in Singapore into English schools after Singapore's independence.

Yet, that mastery of English together with a good engineering degree did not give me a good life. I don't live in a landed property. I am not married to a good husband. I don't have any child yet. I don't even have a boyfriend.

So when this girl told me her mum was a Vietnamese who spoke only Chinese and worked in her father's business as an accountant, I was very surprised. Her mum is expecting her fourth child now and her entire family lives in a landed property in East Coast, an estate full of private properties resided by many rich families.

I thought you would not have a good life if you didn't know how to speak English?

Life is not a science. It all depends on your luck or destiny.

So, I got a good education. I got a pretty decent job. However, maybe because of my looks, I got tons and tons of rejections from men. But I got lots and lots of appeals from the Indian and Bangladeshi men. I really have no interest in them. I'm very disappointed that all my good education is only enough to attract Indian and Bangladeshi construction workers. Is that all I deserve after putting in so much hard work in my life?

Just like the Disney princesses, sometimes beauty and luck are just what women need to live their lives like a fairy tale story.

If you like my blog, remember to follow the link to my eBook at Amazon at the sidebar of this blog!

Like what you read? Why not share it with your friends in your favourite social network? Click one of the social media buttons below to start sharing. Do you have similar stories? Use the "Contact Me!" contact form in the side bar and tell me more about it.

If you like this blog, subscribe to my newsletter! Click this link.
Read my eBook too. Download "Dating Nightmares in a Metropolitan City" here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...